Cheap Date Ideas for College Students (Or Anyone!)
College is a filled with homework, late nights and often times a lot of dating. Sometimes balancing a dating life and a budget can get difficult. Stressing about how much a date is going to cost can take all the fun (and romance) out of it. But it’s not about how much you spend, it’s about who you spend it with.
There are a lot of date night ideas that are free or inexpensive! “Cheap” and “Fun” can be heard together in the same sentence when it comes to dating! Here are 60 fun & cheap date ideas to use next time you ask out or get asked out by a special someone:
60 Cheap Date Ideas
1. Go on a Walmart Scavenger Hunt.
2. Be the test subjects at a beauty school.
3. Try a recipe you’ve never made before
4. Volunteer the animal shelter
5. Build a blanket fort, make your phone into a projector and have a movie night.
6. Fill a truck bed with pillows and blankets to go stargazing.
8. Go to an open mic night.
9. Put googly eyes around your city.
10. Go garage selling.
11. Play ultimate frisbee.
12. Attend a local sporting event.
13. Check out your local farmers or flea markets.
14. Play strip Yatzee, Scrabble, Cards Against Humanity, Boggle, Sorry, Battleship, etc.
15. Have a picnic in a park you’ve never been to.
16. Go to a National Park on free park days.
17. Go sledding at night.
18. Go fishing and release what you catch.
19. Rent a kayak for the day.
20. Do the touristy things offered in your town.
21. Buy the biggest puzzle they have at Goodwill and see how much you can get done in 2 hours.
22. Stop by all the open houses in your area.
23. Go to Costco on sample day.
24. Go for a hike.
25. Recreate your first date.
26. Try a community class: square dancing, pottery or ceramics, painting, boxing, etc.
27. Take bets on a basketball/football/baseball game, loser has to do all the chores that day.
28. Go wine or beer tasting.
29. Make t-shirts for each other.
30. Give each other massages, watch YouTube video tutorials.
31. Go berry picking at a Pick-Your-Own Farm or scavenge your local area.
32. Take a romantic bubble bath together: light candles, throw in rose petals, put on some music, pour some wine and really set the mood.
33. Spend a day shopping only at thrift, consignment or second-hand stores. Give yourselves a budget of $20 and see who can make the best outfit.
34. Make s’mores over an open fire (or over a gas stove).
35. Go through the photos on your phone, print out your favorites and make a scrapbook.
36. Go ice skating.
37. Catch fireflies.
38. Have a spa night: face masks, manis, pedis, etc.
39. Play laser tag.
40. Come up with a bucket list together.
41. Attend Trivia Night at a bar.
42. Read a book to each other, take turns reading chapters.
43. Go to a comedy show.
44. Have a night where you watch the worst movies you can find.
45. Try tandem baking.
46. Go skinny dipping.
47. Attend a live, local concert.
48. Go to a dog park.
49. Play pool at a dive bar.
50. Fill out “How Well Do You Know Me” quizzes.
51. Have a Nerf fight.
52. Play a drinking game while watching a TV show, every time a character says a certain phrase take drink!
53. Brew homemade Kombucha Tea.
54. Take a trip to the beach and build sand castles.
55. Have fun with sidewalk chalk, outline each others bodies.
56. Visit your local roller rink.
57. Leave notes in your favorites book at book stores.
58. Prepare for a 5k together.
59. Learn a new language together ( with a free app like Duolingo)
60. Take a dip in a hot spring.