Couponing at Target
Couponing at Target is GREAT! Target allows the use of several types of coupons: mobile, Cartwheel offers, Target store coupons and manufacturer coupons. They also have many offers where you get FREE gift cards with the purchase of certain items (or a specific amount of items). Here’s an in depth look at how to coupon at Target.
Target Coupon Rules
- Only one manufacturer coupon (paper or Cartwheel digital), one Target coupon (paper or digital), and one Cartwheel offer can be combined per item (unless otherwise noted on coupon).
- They have the right to refuse, or limit the use of any coupon and/or the subsequent return for any reason, including if guests’ reoccurring behavior becomes disruptive or the items are deemed not to be for the purpose of using or gifting.
- Limit of 4 identical coupons per household, per day (unless otherwise noted on coupon).
- They do not accept expired coupons.
- All coupons and Cartwheel offers must be presented to the cashier during checkout and have a scannable barcode. Coupons and Cartwheel offers cannot be applied to previous purchases.
- Item purchased must match the coupon description (brand, size, quantity, color, flavor, etc.).
- The value of a coupon will be applied up to the reduced price of the item and any excess value will not be applied to the transaction total.
- No cash back or overages to the remaining items in the transaction if the value of a coupon is greater than the purchase value of the item.
- The sales tax is calculated by using the full value of an item prior to applying a manufacturer coupon. Target coupons reduce the taxable amount of the items to which they apply, unless prohibited by law.
- They do not accept any competitors coupon(s) for an item they do not carry.
- Some items may not be available at all stores.
- They accept manufacturer coupons with a scannable GS1 data bar. They do not accept UPC-A coupon barcodes.
- Target coupons, Cartwheel manufacturer coupons, and Cartwheel offers cannot be used on products sold by CVS. (Target has CVS Pharmacies in stores now)
- They do not accept manufacturer coupons with no matching requirements (e.g. 992 family code). This is assigned by the manufacture to each product. This code validates that a consumer has purchase a qualifying family of products.
- Printable Coupons are accepted as long as the barcode scans.
- They DO NOT accept internet printed coupons for free items that have no purchase requirements.
- BOGO FREE coupons are not accepted on BOGO FREE sales. You can use it on 2 individually priced items and the lesser price will be deducted.
- If a coupon states “Manufacturer Coupon,” it’s redeemable anywhere (including Target), even if the coupon states, “Redeemable at Kroger, Cub, etc.” (or any other retailer). Target will accept a coupon that has another store’s logo on it as long as it says Manufacturer coupon on it.
When stacking coupons at Target the register will remove them in this order:
- Target Store Coupon
- Cartwheel Offer
- Target Mobile Coupon
- Manufacturer coupon
Target will match the price if you buy a qualifying item at Target, then find the identical item for less at Target.com, select online competitors, or in Target’s or a competitor’s local printed or digital ad. Price matches may be requested at the time of purchase at any check lane or Guest Services. Price adjustments may be requested within 14 days of purchase by visiting any check lane or Guest Services. More on Price Matching.
Can I use a coupon when price matching?
Manufacturer coupons will be applied after the price match is made. Target coupons and Cartwheel offers can’t be applied with price match.
Holiday Rule: Price matches and adjustments will not be allowed for prices from Thanksgiving Day through the end of the following week (Thursday, November 24, 2016 – Saturday, December 3, 2016), whether offered by Target or a competitor.
Mobile offers are coupons that can earn you discounts at checkout. Present your coupons using your mobile device at checkout for a cashier to scan. These coupons are only valid for in-store purchases, unless a promo code is provided for online purchases at Target.com.
At times you may receive offers via text. When those offers are available they will be advertised and you will text a keyword to 827438. Text offers are one time use offers. Just have the cashier scan them from your device at checkout.
What are Target Cartwheel Offers?
- Mobile offers are available in the Target App and Cartwheel app. Visit the Apple App Store or Google Play Store to download these apps for iPhone or Android smartphones. You can also visit cartwheel.target.com.
- You DO NOT need a mobile device to use the Cartwheel offers. You can load them to your account via desktop and print a barcode to use in store at checkout.
- How it works:
- Choose offers on items you love (from 5% to 50% off).
- Scan you barcode at checkout.
- Price drops at the register and you save!
Target Store Coupons
- You can find Target store coupons in your local ad or print them online.
- To use, just present the coupon to the cashier.
- Target coupons will say TARGET COUPON across the top and can be used with a manufacturer coupon.
- Sometimes the coupon you print from Target.com are a manufacturer coupon, so look at the coupon to be sure.
In Store Gift Card Offers
- Target will have in-store gift card offers marked by signs. For example, Buy 3 products get a $5 gift card. These CAN be combined with all coupons.
- If an offer gives out a $5 gift card you will have to pay at least $5 out of pocket. Coupons can be reduced to make this possible. For example, Buy 3 soups and get a FREE $5 Gift Card. You have coupons that bring the total to $3.92. Target will reduce the value of the coupons at checkout to not exceed the value of the gift card. You will have to pay $5 out of pocket and then you will get back the $5 Gift Card. Here’s a deal you can see showing this scenario.
- Store Gift Card offers may or may not be advertised.
- Some Target stores may not offer the same gift card offers as other Target stores.
Do I pay tax when I use coupons?
Yes, you will pay applicable sales tax on the full price of the item before coupons.
Threshold Coupon Rules
Target will offer threshold coupons, such as a coupon for $15 off a $50 purchase in the baby department. Threshold coupons will have it’s own exclusions printed on it. Threshold coupons can be used with all other coupons. You must meet the purchase requirement first – then all other coupons will apply. Here’s an example of a deal using a threshold coupon with other offers.
Other ways to save
- Target REDcard saves you an additional 5% on all purchases, gets you FREE shipping on most items sold at Target.com and gives you 30 extra days for returns.
- View the Target Weekly ad for sales.
- Check the Target tab on Easy College Coupons for the best weekly deals.
As you can see there are lots of ways to save money at Target! It’s always a good ideas to check the Cartwheel offers, Target Ad and the available Target coupons before heading to the store to make sure you don’t miss any savings offers. It’s easy to see why couponing at Target is so popular.